So, Taiwan is great! The last few months since I last wrote on thi
s little blog-a-ma-bob have been filled with tons of interesting experiences-- scuba diving in Green Island, riding a "hot dog boat" in Kenting, scaring children to tears at Halloween (oops), a kiss on the cheek from a random old man, eating "old cheese" on a stick, a terrifying roller coaster that made me scream so loud & high that I discovered a whole other register in my voice, several cute little monks, etc. There have been lots of other exciting, fun, crazy, awkward, frustrating, enlightening, and hilarious experiences, but since there are too many to catch up on, I'm just going to write about this past weekend.
s little blog-a-ma-bob have been filled with tons of interesting experiences-- scuba diving in Green Island, riding a "hot dog boat" in Kenting, scaring children to tears at Halloween (oops), a kiss on the cheek from a random old man, eating "old cheese" on a stick, a terrifying roller coaster that made me scream so loud & high that I discovered a whole other register in my voice, several cute little monks, etc. There have been lots of other exciting, fun, crazy, awkward, frustrating, enlightening, and hilarious experiences, but since there are too many to catch up on, I'm just going to write about this past weekend. This Saturday, we went to Guanziling to see the fire-water-mix. It was a pain in the rearsky to get there (trains, busses, taxis, & hiking were all involved), but it was worth it! Basically, it's a little pool of water where natural gasses come up and ignite once they reach the surface.
Pretty much- it's water with fire on top of it. According to a sign near the pool, the fire can never be put out. Crazy! Anyway, it was really cool to see. There was one thing kind of weird about it all, though ( I mean aside from the fact that the water was on fire). In the Lonely Planet guidebook for Taiwan, it mentions that Guanziling is famous for two natural oddities; one being the fire-water-mix, and the other being a natural mud-hot-spring or something
. I, personally, would have mentioned a third. While standing in front of the water-fire-mix, if you look up, you can see potatoes hanging from the trees directly above your head. Now, I may not know much, but there are a few things that I know for sure: 1. Chocolate is really good. 2. Families are important. 3. If you rearrange the letters in 'dormitory', you can spell 'dirty room'. 4. Potatoes have no business growing on trees.
Pretty much- it's water with fire on top of it. According to a sign near the pool, the fire can never be put out. Crazy! Anyway, it was really cool to see. There was one thing kind of weird about it all, though ( I mean aside from the fact that the water was on fire). In the Lonely Planet guidebook for Taiwan, it mentions that Guanziling is famous for two natural oddities; one being the fire-water-mix, and the other being a natural mud-hot-spring or something
. I, personally, would have mentioned a third. While standing in front of the water-fire-mix, if you look up, you can see potatoes hanging from the trees directly above your head. Now, I may not know much, but there are a few things that I know for sure: 1. Chocolate is really good. 2. Families are important. 3. If you rearrange the letters in 'dormitory', you can spell 'dirty room'. 4. Potatoes have no business growing on trees. I don't know who these people in Guanziling think they are, running around defying all laws of nature, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to get on their bad side.
Ok, so when it really comes down to it, I'm assuming that these brown lumpy things hanging
from the trees are not actually potatoes, but rather some other thing that I've never heard of. I tried looking it up online, but I couldn't find anything. I'm kind of afraid to know the truth on this matter, though. On the one hand, I might find that the truth is boring and that these hanging anomalies are actually just a very unnatractive type of fruit. (Lame!) On the other hand, I might find out that the people of Guanziling can not only manipulate the elements to allow fire & water to coexist, but they can also grow potatoes anywhere they dang well please and that their children all pop out of heads of cabbage at birth. I bet they all have Xavier's signature on their hineys, too.
from the trees are not actually potatoes, but rather some other thing that I've never heard of. I tried looking it up online, but I couldn't find anything. I'm kind of afraid to know the truth on this matter, though. On the one hand, I might find that the truth is boring and that these hanging anomalies are actually just a very unnatractive type of fruit. (Lame!) On the other hand, I might find out that the people of Guanziling can not only manipulate the elements to allow fire & water to coexist, but they can also grow potatoes anywhere they dang well please and that their children all pop out of heads of cabbage at birth. I bet they all have Xavier's signature on their hineys, too. Creepy, creepy, creepy.
Ok, first of all, I want to hear about the crying children on Halloween and the rollercoaster.
ReplyDeleteSecond... The flaming water is SO NEAT!!! I'm jealous.
Third... You are by far the funniest person I know! You had me rolling with the potatoes on trees! I miss you!
hahaha. So, remember how you should totally post every week?!?!?! It sounds like a sweet trip. The potatoes do sound scary. Were they being cooked by the fire? Cuz I know that if some random did all my cooking I would be VERY happy. I like how chocolate came above family. How are you? I hope you have some good old cheese to celebrate how great Thanksgiving is in Taiwan. I love you!
ReplyDeleteLinzification, i'm pretty sure that reading your blog about all of this stuff is just as much fun as actually being there (except if i were there we'd get to hang out and eat stinky tofu):)
ReplyDelete